Mongolia - Northern Mongolia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Mongolia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Mongolia guide-book.
The most famous body of water here is Lake Khövsgöl, the ‘Mother Sea’ of the nation, but beauty abounds across the region, in the pine-scented forest, the wild, rugged steppe, and espe-cially in the Shangri-La-like isolation of the Darkhad Valley.
- while away an afternoon fishing on Mongolia’s loveliest alpine lake Khövsgöl Nuur
- visit the remote region’s Tsaatan reindeer herders at Darkhad Valley, the edge of the great Siberian taiga
- wander the grounds of Mongolia’s Buddhist architectural highlight, Amarbayasgalant Khi-id
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Selenge, Sükhbaatar, Altanbulag, Dulaankhaan, Darkhan, Amarbayasgalant Khiid, Bulgan, Erdenet, Bulgan City, Khövsgöl, Mörön, Khövsgöl Nuur National Park, Chandman-Öndör, Darkhad Valley, Shine-Ider & Jargalant,
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation