Mongolia - Central Mongolia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Mongolia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Mongolia guide-book.
Verdant swaths of empty landscapes are sprinkled with tiny gers (traditional yurts), while magical light plays across the valleys. This is the Mongolian heartland, loaded with both historical sites and natural beauty.
- camp, hike and swim your way around the stunning volcanic lake at Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur
- take a break from Ulaanbaatar and head to the nearby hills and valleys of Gorkhi-Terelj Na-tional Park, best explored on a hike or via horseback
- visit history-laden Kharkhorin for the ancient temples and ruined remains of Erdene Zuu Khiid, Mongolia’s first Buddhist monastery
- restaurants & accommodation
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.