Middle East - Turkey (PDF Chapter)
This is the Turkey chapter from Lonely Planet’s Middle East guidebook.
Turkey is where Asia and Europe meet and meld together. The ‘bridge between continents’ tag may be a cliché but this nation’s juxtaposition of modern sophistication and ancient tradition is a surprising and heady brew that turns many travellers’ first perceptions on their head. Steeped in age-old culture but imbued with a contemporary go-getting pulse, Turkey defies being pinned down and is the perfect introduction to the Middle East.
- craning your neck to gaze at Byzantine fresco frippery and Ottoman artistry before haggling your heart out in the Grand Bazaar, in İstanbul
- remembering the fallen at the WWI battlefields on the Gallipoli Peninsula
- experiencing hypnotic Sufi swirling at the home of dervishes in Konya
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: İstanbul & around, Edirne, Bursa, Aegean Coast, Çanakkale, Troy (Truva), Eceabat (Maydos), Gallipoli (Gelıbolu) Peninsula, Ayvalık, Bergama & Pergamum, İzmır, Selçuk, Kuşadası, Pamukkale, Bodrum, Mediterranean Coast, Marmaris, Fethiye, Ölüdeniz, Patara, Kalkan, Kaş, Olympos & Çıralı, Antalya, Side, Alanya, Antakya (Hatay), Central Anatolia, Ankara, Safranbolu, Konya, Cappadocia (Kapadokya), Göreme & around, Avanos, Ürgüp, Kayseri, Black Sea & Northeastern Anatolia, Trabzon, Erzurum, Kars, Doğubayazıt, Southeastern Anatolia, Van, Diyarbakır, Mardin, Şanlıurfa (Urfa), Nemrut Dağı (Mt Nemrut), Gaziantep (Antep), Understand Turkey, Turkey Today, History, People, Language, Religion, Food, and Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.