Middle East - Iraq (PDF Chapter)
This is the Iraq chapter from Lonely Planet’s Middle East guidebook.
Torn between its glorious past and its recent bloody history, Iraq is a country in turmoil. While the majority of the country is extremely dangerous, some parts of Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region are still relatively stable. Its future may be far from certain, but the warm and hospitable people here are inspiring nonetheless. Iraq, including the Kurdish region, remains volatile, so be sure to keep up to date with the news and check with your foreign office for current advice before travelling.
- have a chai break at Cafe Lara and take in the view from the spacious balcony overlooking Lake Dukan
- travel through imposing gorges and mountains on the Hamilton Road
- travel back in history and learn about Kurdistan’s tragic past in Sulaymaniyah’s Amna Suraka, a Saddam-era prison turned museum.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: A Divided Country, Kurdistan Region, Erbil & around, Shaqlawa, Gali Ali Beg & the Hamilton Road, Dukan, Sulaymaniyah, Understand Iraq, Iraq Today, History, People & Society, and Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.