Mexico - Oaxaca (PDF Chapter)
This is the Oaxaca chapter from Lonely Planet’s Mexico guidebook.
The state of Oaxaca has a special magic felt by Mexicans and foreigners alike. A bastion of indigenous culture, it’s home to the country’s most vibrant crafts and art scene, some outstand-ingly colorful and extroverted festivities, a uniquely savory cuisine and diverse natural riches.
- indulge in the culture, cuisine, color, crafts – and mezcal – of festive, colonial Oaxaca city
- chill out at the travelers’ beach hangout of Zipolite, one of several laid-back villages along the coast
- ride the surf on the gorgeous beaches of low-key Puerto Escondido
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Oaxaca City, Valles Centrales, Monte Albán, Valle de Tlacolula, Valle de Zimatlán, Valle de Etla, San José del Pacífico, Sierra Norte, Pueblos Manco-munados, Western Oaxaca, Santiago Apoala, Oaxaca Coast, Puerto Escondido, Parque Nacion-al Lagunas de Chacahua, Pochutla, Puerto Ángel, Zipolite, San Agustinillo, Mazunte, La Venta-nilla, Bahías de Huatulco, Isthmus of Tehuantepec, Tehuantepec, Juchitán.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation