Melbourne & Victoria - Wilsons Promontory & Gippsland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Wilsons Promontory & Gippsland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Melbourne & Victoria guidebook.
The Great Ocean Road may get the crowds, but Gippsland hides all the secrets. Gippsland is one region where it pays to avoid the cities – the towns along the Princes Hwy are barely worth a traveller’s glance. But beyond the highway are some of the state’s most absorbing, unspoiled and beautiful wilderness areas and beaches. Along the coast there’s Wilsons Promontory National Park, a fabulous destination for hikers and sightseers alike. This is only the start when it comes to stirring beaches. Epic Ninety Mile Beach yields to Cape Conran Coastal Park and Croajingolong National Park. Put them together and it’s one of the wildest, most beautiful coastlines on Earth. Inland, the Buchan Caves are a must-see attraction, while the national parks at Snowy River and Errinundra are as deeply forested, remote and pristine as any in the country..
- hike from Tidal River to Sealers Cove, past remote lighthouses, in Wilsons Promontory na-tional park
- saddle up for Gippsland’s longest cycle path, the East Gippsland Rail Trail
- camp in the dunes and fish from the beach at the legendary Ninety Mile Beach.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: South Gippsland, Inverloch, Koonwarra, Fish Creek, Port Albert, Walhalla, Sale, Maffra, Ninety Mile Beach, Paynesville, Raymond Island, Metung, Buchan, Snowy River National Park, Errinundra National Park, Orbost, Cape Conran Coastal Park, Wilsons Promontory National Park, West Gippsland, Lakes District, Lakes Entrance, East Gippsland, Mallacoota, Croajingolong National Park, The Wilderness Coast.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.