Melbourne & Victoria - Understand Melbourne & Victoria and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Melbourne & Victoria Today, History, Food & Drink, Fashion & Shopping, The Arts, Sport, Directory A–Z and Transport chapters from Lonely Planet’s Melbourne & Victoria guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, food & wine, to flights, public transport, cli-mate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids.
- a rundown on the best food & drink of the region
- info on the Ned Kelly, the goldfields and all the region’s history
- full coverage of Melbourne’s great obsession: sport
- details on Melbourne’s buzzing art scene
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation