Melbourne & Victoria - The Murray River & Around (PDF Chapter)
This is the Murray River & Around chapter from Lonely Planet’s Melbourne & Victo-ria guidebook.
The mighty Murray River is Australia’s most important inland waterway, and along its banks are some of Victoria’s most historic and captivating towns. The region is a stirring place of winer-ies and orchards, bush camping, balmy weather and river red gum forests.
- relax on a houseboat and dine out on ‘Feast Street’ in the sunny town of Mildura
- ride an original paddle steamer down the Murray for lunch at a winery in Echuca
- explore Echuca’s past in its discovery centre, old wharf area and historic Murray Espla-nade
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mildura, Swan Hill, Echuca, Yarrawonga, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Goldburn Valley.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation