Melbourne & Victoria - The High Country (PDF Chapter)
This is the High Country chapter from Lonely Planet’s Melbourne & Victoria guidebook.
These are Victoria’s Alps – a mountain playground attracting skiers and snowboarders in winter and bushwalkers and mountain bikers in summer. The mountain air is clear and invigor-ating, and the scenery is spectacular.
- cycle Victoria’s second longest bike path – the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail – with winery stops aplenty
- visit Ned Kelly’s cell, then sample the brews at Bridge Road Brewers in the picturesque historic town of Beechworth
- ski the piste at fashionable Falls Creek in winter, and zipping downhill on mountain bikes in summer
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mt Buller, Mt Baw Baw, Lake Eildon & Around, Eildon, Jamieson, Mansfield, King Valley, Milawa Gourmet Region, Beechworth, Yackandandah, Chil-tern, Rutherglen, Mt Buffalo National Park, Bright, Mt Beauty, the Kiewa Valley, Falls Creek, Har-rietville, Mt Hotham, Dinner Plain, Omeo.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation