Malta & Gozo - Valletta (PDF Chapter)
This is the Valletta chapter from Lonely Planet’s Malta & Gozo guidebook.
Valletta is Malta’s lilliputian capital, built by the Knights of St John on a peninsula that’s only 1km by 600m. Its founder decreed that it should be ‘a city built by gentlemen for gentlemen’, and it retains its 16th-century elegance.
- enjoy the angles of Renzo Piano’s spectacular architectural statement – the Parliament Building
- check out the stunning view from the Upper Barrakka Gardens that puts the ‘grand’ in Grand Harbour
- discover the glories of the magnificent church of the Knights, St John’s Co-Cathedral
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Courses, Tours, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Around Valletta.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation