Malta & Gozo - Central Malta (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Malta chapter from Lonely Planet’s Malta & Gozo guide-book.
Central Malta combines beautiful historic centres with some of the island’s most spectacular scenery. If you’re after traditional Maltese traditional culture and a tranquil holiday that’s a little off the well-worn path, this is the perfect base.
- stroll Mdina’s deserted thoroughfares to discover the haunting silence of this walled city after dark
- absorb the local vibe of Rabat before going underground to admire the amazing frescoes of St Agatha’s Catacombs
- lunch on traditional Maltese flavours at excellent Diar il-Bniet
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mdina, Rabat, Dingli Cliffs, Mosta, Naxxar, Birkirkara & the Three Villages, Fomm ir-Rih.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation