Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei - Brunei Darussalam (PDF Chapter)
This is the Brunei Darussalam chapter from Lonely Planet’s Malaysia Singapore & Brunei guidebook.
Look beneath the surface of this tightly regulated sultanate and you’ll see the wisely con-served wildness of its natural environment. Thanks to its oil money, Brunei hasn’t turned its rain-forests into palm-oil plantations. Old-growth, primary forest abounds, especially in verdant Ulu Temburong National Park.
However, the introduction of a strict interpretation of sharia law in April 2019 has prompted global criticism and concern. Under the new legislation, adultery and homosexual acts are pun-ishable by death by stoning, and theft is punishable by the amputation of limbs. As the world struggles to come to terms with Brunei’s new direction, the future of tourism is uncertain.
- climb high into the rainforest canopy and cool off in a jungle stream in Ulu Temburong Na-tional Park
- visit a mosque or museum and explore the restaurants and coffee shops in Bandar Seri Begawan
- take a water taxi to charming Kampong Ayer and learn about Brunei’s heritage
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bandar Seri Begawan, Tutong & Belait Districts, Tutong, Jalan Labi, Seria, Temburong District, Bangar, Batang Duri, Ulu Temburong Nation-al Park, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.