Maine & Acadia National Park - Western Maine (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Maine chapter from Lonely Planet’s Maine & Acadia National Park guidebook.
Western Maine receives far fewer visitors than the coast, which thrills the outdoorsy types who love its dense forests and solitary peaks just the way they are. While much of the land is still wilderness, there are some notable settlements.
- take a scenic drive through Grafton Notch State Park, then hike up to lofty lookouts
- admire the scenery from Height of Land, one of Maine’s best viewpoints
- spend the day hiking and canoeing in Sebago Lake State Park, followed by some storytelling around the campfire
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bridgton, Bethel, Rangeley Lake.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation