Maine & Acadia National Park - North Maine Woods (PDF Chapter)
This is the North Maine Woods chapter from Lonely Planet’s Maine & Acadia National Park guidebook.
If you flew over Maine’s Great North Woods at night, you’d see barely a twinkle of light below. This is one of America’s truly impressive wildernesses, a vast expanse of dark forest, raging rivers and herds of moose. Human settlements feel almost incidental.
- climb to the top of a mountain peak in Baxter State Park and enjoy a fabulous view (when the clouds cooperate)
- take an adrenaline-fueled white-water journey along thundering sections of the Kennebec River
- enjoy the scenery on Maine’s largest lake during a cruise aboard the vintage SS Katahdin on Moosehead Lake
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Moosehead Lake, Baxter State Park.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.