Maine & Acadia National Park - Inland Maine (PDF Chapter)
This is the Inland Maine chapter from Lonely Planet’s Maine & Acadia National Park guidebook.
This inland corridor offers some fascinating areas to explore. The former lumbering boomtown of Bangor has a pleasantly old-fashioned main street and architectural intrigue (including Stephen King’s spooky mansion); Maine’s state capital, Augusta has one of the state’s best history museums.
- get an ample dose of Maine history, from its lumberjacks and ice harvesters to lobster fishers and industrialists, in Maine State Museum’s wide-ranging collection
- tour the old Shaker buildings and learning about fascinating Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village
- discover Bangor’s past inside an 1836 mansion at Bangor Historical Society
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Augusta, Bangor.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.