Maine & Acadia National Park - Acadia National Park & Down East (PDF Chapter)
This is the Acadia National Park & Down East chapter from Lonely Planet’s Maine & Acadia National Park guidebook.
Without question, this is quintessential Maine: as you head further up the coast toward Canada, the peninsulas seem to narrow, jutting further into the sea. The fishing villages get smaller; the lobster pounds are closer to the water.
- hike up Cadillac Mountain, relax on Sand Beach, and enjoy afternoon tea at the Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park
- overnight in a Victorian B&B, kayak off the coast and admire wooded lanes and historic architecture in Castine
- eat fresh lobster in Stonington, followed by a boat trip to picturesque Isle au Haut
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Acadia National Park & Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Cranberry Isles, Blue Hill Peninsula, Blue Hill, Brooklin, Castine, Deer Isle & Stonington, Isle au Haut, Machias Bay Area, Lubec.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.