Madrid - Plaza Mayor & Royal Madrid (PDF Chapter)
This is the Plaza Mayor & Royal Madrid chapter from Lonely Planet’s Madrid guidebook.
The hub of Madrid’s most medieval quarter, Plaza Mayor is a place both to admire and to get your bearings. It’s the square where so many explorations of the neighbourhood (and wider city) begin.
- learn why locals are obsessed with food, and experience the irresistible buzz that goes with going out for tapas in the capital, at Mercado de San Miguel
- soak up the grandeur of Palacio Real, Madrid’s seat of royal power and one of its most imposing architectural landmarks
- spend time in Plaza de la Villa, one of the city’s most architecturally pleasing corners
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout