Madrid - El Retiro & the Art Museums (PDF Chapter)
This is the El Retiro & the Art Museums chapter from Lonely Planet’s Madrid guidebook.
With Paseo del Prado, one of Europe’s grandest boulevards that is lined with art galleries, other grand monuments and the city’s botanical gardens, El Retiro is very much a daytime neighbourhood.
- take a journey through the richest centuries of Spanish and European art at the Museo del Prado, beginning with Goya and Velázquez
- marvel at the sheer genius of Picasso as you ponder the many dimensions of Guernica, in the Centro de Arte Reina Sofia
- tick off just about every European master under one roof in the astonishingly rich collection of the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping, and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.