Madrid - Day trips from Madrid (PDF Chapter)
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Madrid and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Toledo.
- San Lorenzo de El Escorial, one of Spain’s grandest monuments, this Unesco World Heritage-listed palace-monastery complex combines a cool mountain setting with the imposing grandeur of imperial Spain.
- Toledo is a beautifully sited, architecturally distinguished city with signposts to its glory days as a crossroads of civilisation
- a Roman aqueduct, a castle that inspired Disney and a colour scheme of sandstone and warm terracotta make Segovia one of the most agreeable towns close to Madrid
- surrounded by the finest medieval walls in Spain, Ávila is an evocative Castilian city that’s the spiritual home to the cult of Santa Teresa
- a royal getaway down through the centuries, Aranjuez has an extraordinary palace and expansive gardens grafted onto a delightfully small-town canvas
- home to one of the prettiest town squares in Spain, Chinchón is a world away from downtown Madrid, with fabulous food thrown in
Coverage includes: San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, Aranjuez and Chinchón.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.