Madrid - Day Trips from Madrid (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Madrid chapter from Lonely Planet’s Madrid guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Madrid and each can be completed in a day. Must-sees include San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Toledo.
- San Lorenzo de El Escorial is a Unesco World Heritage–listed palace-monastery complex that combines a cool mountain setting with the imposing grandeur of imperial Spain
- Toledo is a beautifully sited, architecturally distinguished city with signposts to its glory days as a crossroads of civilisation
- a Roman aqueduct, a castle that inspired Disney and a colour scheme of sandstone and warm terracotta make Segovia one of the most agreeable towns close to Madrid
- surrounded by the finest medieval walls in Spain, Ávila is an evocative Castilian city that’s the spiritual home to the cult of Santa Teresa
- a royal getaway down through the centuries, Aranjuez has an extraordinary palace and expansive gardens grafted onto a delightfully small-town canvas
- home to one of the prettiest town squares in Spain, Chinchón is a world away from downtown Madrid, with fabulous food thrown in
Coverage includes: San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Toledo, Segovia, Ávila Aranjuez and Chinchón.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.