Madagascar - Antananarivo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Antananarivo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Madagascar guidebook.
‘Tana’ is all about eating, shopping, culture and history. The town centre is busy and polluted, but bypassing the capital altogether is a mistake: the city has been the home of Malagasy power for three centuries and there is a huge amount to discover.
- stroll through Antananarivo’s lovely Haute-Ville
- spend an afternoon in the spiritual home of Malagasy identity, the royal hill of Ambohimanga
- shop till you drop (and haggle all you can) at Marché Artisanal de la Digue
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Tours, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Around Antananarivo, Lemurs’ Park, Ivato, Ilafy and Ambohimanga.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.