Los Angeles, San Diego & Southern California - Understand Southern California and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Southern California Today, History, The Way of Life, On Location: Film & TV, Music & the Arts, Southern California Architecture, The Land & Wildlife, Directory A–Z, and Transportation chapters from Lonely Planet’s Los Angles, San Diego & Southern Cali-fornia guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, the New World of SoCal architecture and the beach lifestyle, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on the film and TV industry – not just all about Hollywood’s A-list
- info on how SoCal has evolved through history, from water scandals and earthquakes to race riots and beyond
- full coverage of the flavors of SoCal – eat like an Iron Chef judge and tipple sun-kissed wines, then go find fresh seafood shacks and gourmet-food trucks
- details on the native wildlife and its most famous migratory visitors, from gray whales to monarch butterflies
Coverage includes: Southern California Today, History, The Way of Life, On Location: Film & TV, Music & the Arts, Southern California Architecture, The Land & Wildlife, Directory A–Z, and Transportation.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.