Los Angeles, San Diego & Southern California - Palm Springs & the Deserts (PDF Chapter)
This is the Palm Springs & the Deserts chapter from Lonely Planet’s Los Angles, San Diego & Southern California guidebook.
There’s something undeniably artistic in the way the landscape unfolds in the California de-sert. Through it all threads iconic Route 66, lined with moodily rusting roadside relics. No matter what your trail, the desert will creep into your consciousness and never fully leave.
- feel fabulous in the revitalized mid-Century Modern Rat Pack hangout of Palm Springs
- traverse ethereal landscapes to the lowest point in the western hemisphere, Death Valley National Park
- marvel at whimsically eroded rock formations on a hike through Wonderland of Rocks
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Palm Springs & The Coachella Valley, Joshua Tree National Park, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park & Around, Route 66, Mojave National Preserve & Around, Death Valley National Park & Around, Upper Mojave Desert, Las Vegas.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.