London - Day Trips from London (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from London chapter from Lonely Planet’s London guide-book.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from London and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Windsor Castle and Oxford.
- the bastion of British royalty, Windsor Castle overlooks the affluent town of Windsor, pic-turesquely located along the River Thames
- the world’s oldest university town, Oxford boasts more than three dozen prestigious (and eye-catching) colleges, but also some world-class museums
- awash in exquisite architecture, steeped in history and tradition and renowned for its quirky rituals, Cambridge is the quintessential English university town
- a cultural trendsetter and fashionable haunt for three centuries, Bath has so many archi-tectural gems the entire city has been named a World Heritage Site
- Stonehenge has been attracting a steady stream of pilgrims, poets and philosophers for the last 5000 years and is still a mystical, ethereal place – a haunting echo from Britain’s for-gotten past
Coverage includes: Windsor Castle, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath.