Laos - Northern Laos (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Laos chapter from Lonely Planet’s Laos guidebook.
Whether it’s for trekking, cycling, kayaking, ziplining or a family homestay, a visit to northern Laos is for many the highlight of their trip. Dotted about are unfettered, dense forests home to big cats, gibbons and a cornucopia of animals.
- soar through the jungle canopy on ziplines to remote tree houses at the unforgettable Gibbon Experience near Huay Xai
- karst away on a boat ride or kayak trip down the Nam Ou (Ou River) between Muang Ngoi Neua and Nong Khiaw
- learn about the local lifestyle in homestays on a tribal trek in remote Phongsali, home to some of the oldest tea plantations in the world
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Xieng Khuang & Hua Phan Provinces, Phonsavan, Plain of Jars, Muang Khoun, Sam Neua & Around, Nong Khiaw, Vieng Xai, Vieng Thong, Muang Ngoi District, Nong Khiaw, Muang Ngoi Neua, Phongsali Province, Muang Khua, Phongsali, Boun Neua, Northwestern Laos, Udomxai, Muang La, Luang Namtha, Vieng Phukha, Muang Sing, The Middle Mekong, Huay Xai, Pak Beng, Sainyabuli.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.