Kyoto - Gion & Southern Higashiyama (PDF Chapter)
This is the Gion & Southern Higashiyama chapter from Lonely Planet’s Kyoto guidebook.
This is where you should begin your exploration of Kyoto. This area is home to some of Kyoto’s best temples and several of the city’s loveliest lanes. Downhill from the main sightseeing route, you’ll find Gion, Kyoto’s high-end entertainment and geisha district.
- climb to the top of the Southern Higashiyama district to visit one of Kyoto’s most colourful temples, Kiyomizu-dera
- let your soul be soothed by the chanting monks at Chion-in
- sip a cup of green tea while admiring the sublime garden at Shoren-in
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.