Kyoto - Gion & Southern Higashiyama (PDF Chapter)
This is the Gion & Southern Higashiyama chapter from Lonely Planet’s Kyoto guidebook.
This is where you should begin your exploration of Kyoto. This area is home to some of Kyo-to’s best temples and several of the city’s loveliest lanes. Downhill from the main sightseeing route, you’ll find Gion, Kyoto’s high-end entertainment and geisha district.
- climb to the top of the Southern Higashiyama district to visit one of Kyoto’s most colourful temples, Kiyomizu-dera
- let your soul be soothed by the chanting monks at Chion-in
- sip a cup of green tea while admiring the sublime garden at Sh?ren-in
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.