Kyoto - Downtown Kyoto (PDF Chapter)
This is the Downtown Kyoto chapter from Lonely Planet’s Kyoto guidebook.
Downtown Kyoto is bounded by the Kamo-gawa (the river) to the east, Karasuma-dori to the west, Oike-dori to the north and Shijo-dori to the south. In this relatively small square area, you will find the thickest selection of restaurants, shops, hotels and businesses in all of Kyoto.
- tread lightly over squeaking ‘nightingale’ floors while exploring Nijo-jo
- marvel at all the weird and wonderful ingredients that go into Kyoto cuisine at Nishiki Market
- stroll atmospheric Ponto-cho in the evening lantern light
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout