Kuala Lumpur, Melaka & Penang - Penang (Chapter)
This is the Penang chapter from Lonely Planet’s Kuala Lumpur, Melaka & Penang guidebook.
If there’s a better microcosm of the exotic east than Penang, we’ve yet to find it. This is one of Malaysia’s most diverse, cosmopolitan and exciting cultures; an urban centre that delivers old-world Asia in spades.
- explore the World Heritage Zone of George Town, staying in a boutique heritage hotel and digging into delicious hawker food
- hike through rainforest to beaches where monkeys scamper in Penang National Park
- become familiar with the contents of your spice rack at the wonderful hillside Tropical Spice Garden
- encounter nature and enjoy cool breezes and fantastic views of the island from The Habitat atop Penang Hill
- marvel at the outdoor gallery of incredible plants, glass sculptures and contemporary art at Art & Garden by Fuan Wong
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping, Activities and Sleeping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.