Kenya - Mombasa & the South Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Mombasa & the South Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Kenya guidebook.
Governed by Swahili rhythms and the rise and fall of the tides, life here moves to its own beat. Thanks to the long interplay of Africa, India and Arabia, this coast feels wildly different from the rest of Kenya.
- step barefoot onto the miles and miles of soft white sand of Diani Beach, and later kitesurfing its waves
- explore a centuries-old fort and shop for spices and antiques in the labyrinthine streets of Mombasa’s historical heart
- go elephant-spotting at Mwaluganje Elephant Sanctuary, a tremendous success of a local conservation project
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mombasa & Around, Shimba Hills National Reserve, Tiwi Beach, Diani Beach, Gazi & Chale Island, Funzi Island, Shimoni & Wasini Island, Lunga Lunga, North of Mombasa, Nyali, Bamburi, Shanzu Beach, Mtwapa.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.