Kaua'i - Waimea Canyon & the Westside (PDF Chapter)
Kauaʻi doesn’t get more local than the Westside, where revered traditions and family pride reign. You’re more likely to hear fluent Hawaiian, spot a real-life paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) and see fishers sewing their nets here than anywhere else on the island.
- ponder eternity at the edge of the world at Polihale State Park, which ancient Hawaiians believed to be the jumping-off point for souls leaving for the underworld
- drive Waimea Canyon, with jaw-dropping vistas and ocean views so striking you may wonder if this painterly vision is real or not
- zip into sea caves, bounce over waves and snorkel remote reefs on a Na Pali Coast Boat Tour – aah!
Coverage includes: Best Places to Eat, Best Nightlife, Port Allen & Around, Hanapepe, Waimea, Kekaha, Waimea Canyon State Park, Kokeʻe State Park.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation