Jordan - Petra (PDF Chapter)
This is the Petra chapter from Lonely Planet’s Jordan guidebook.
The ancient Nabataean city of Petra, with its elaborate architecture chiselled out of the pink-hued cliffs, is not just the leading highlight of a country blessed with more than its fair share of top sites: it’s a wonder of the world. Add to this the cheerfulness of the Bedouin, and it’s easy to see what makes Petra a must.
- wind through the Siq, the sheer-sided chasm leading to an ancient world
- search the Royal Tombs for spirits, lurking in the rainbow-coloured hollows
- make the pilgrimage to the Monastery and watch the weather-burnished stones catch alight at sunset
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: The Ancient City, Wadi Musa and Siq al-Barid (Little Petra).
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.