Jordan - Madaba & the King's Highway (PDF Chapter)
This is the Madaba & the King’s Highway chapter from Lonely Planet’s Jordan guidebook.
The King’s Highway runs down the spine of Jordan’s central highlands, bisected by the mighty canyon of Wadi Mujib. With panoramic sites of biblical importance, exquisite Roman mo-saics and well-preserved Crusader castles, there’s something fascinating to see along the entire length of this central region.
- piece together early Christian history in Madaba while exploring Jordan’s best collection of Byzantine mosaics, housed in a series of still operating churches
- survey the view that Moses is said to have gazed upon when he saw the Promised Land at Mt Nebo
- enjoy the eagle’s-eye vista from the lookout at Wadi Mujib, over a dramatic Grand Can-yon–esque landscape
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Central Jordan, Madaba, Mt Nebo & Around, Mukawir (Machaerus), Umm Ar Rasas, Wadi Mujib, Ar Rabba, Karak, Khirbet Tannour, Dana, Shobak.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation