Japan - Understand Japan and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains Japan Today, History, the People of Japan, Japanese Cuisine, the Arts, Architecture, Traditional Japanese Accommodation, Sport, Living Art of the Geisha, Environment, Directory A–Z, Transport and Language chapters from Lonely Planet’s Japan guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, local cuisine and traditional accommodation to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get hints on the gay and lesbian scene and tips for women travellers, travelling with kids and travellers with disabilities, as well as handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on geisha culture and the arts
- info on traditional architecture and modern icons
- full coverage of traditional Japanese accommodation options
- details on what to eat and how to order
Coverage includes: Japan Today, History – from the early settlers to the Modern Period, the People of Japan: Population, Lifestyle, Religion and Women in Japan, Japanese Cuisine – Where & What to Eat and Drink, the Arts: Painting, Calligraphy, Traditional Theatre & Dance, Literature, Manga & Anime and Traditional Music, Architecture, Traditional Japanese Accommodation: Ryokan, Minshuku and Shukubō, Sport: Sumo and Martial Arts, Living Art of the Geisha, Environment: Sustainable Travel in Japan, National Parks and Wildlife, Directory A–Z, Transport and Language.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.