Japan - The Japan Alps & Central Honshu (PDF Chapter)
This is the Japan Alps & Central Honshu chapter from Lonely Planet’s Japan guidebook.
World-class skiing, hiking and onsen can be found in the region’s stunning alpine uplands. Kanazawa oozes culture: temples and tearooms that served lords and housed geisha are beautifully preserved. Takayama’s quaint riverside streetscapes win admirers from Japan and abroad.
- walk the ancient post road, Nakasendo, between Tsumago and Magome
- sleep in a thatch-roofed house in the World Heritage–listed village of Ainokura
- haggle with guffawing elderly vendors at Asa-ichi, the Noto Peninsula’s morning market in Wajima
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Nagoya & Around, Inuyama, Gifu, Gujo-Hachiman, Kiso Valley Nakasendo, Magome, Tsumago, Kiso, Narai, Hida Region, Takayama, Hida-Furukawa, Okuhida Onsen-go, Shirakawa-go & Gokayama, Kanazawa & the Hokuriku Coast, Kanazawa, Noto Peninsula, Kaga Onsen, Fukui, Toyama, Takaoka, The Northern Japan Alps, Matsumoto, Azumino, Shirahone Onsen, Kamikochi, Hakuba, Nagano & Around, Togaku-shi, Obuse, Nozawa Onsen, Myoko Kogen, Shiga Kogen, Bessho Onsen, Karuizawa, Gunma Prefecture, Takasaki, Minakami Onsen-kyo, Kusatsu Onsen.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.