Japan - Okinawa & The Southwest Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Okinawa & the Southwest Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Japan guidebook.
Collectively known as the Southwest Islands, the Nansei-shoto comprises several chains of semitropical, coral-fringed isles far removed from the concerns of mainland life, where the slow pace and unique cultural heritage of the former Ryukyu kingdom endures.
- hunt for star-sand on Kaiji-hama on delightful Taketomi-jima
- hike to admire a 300 year old cedar tree, Jomon-sugi, deep in the interior of Yakushima
- snorkel among corals on Sunayama Beach, the most beautiful beach on Miyako-jima
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Osumi Islands, Yakushima, Tanegashima, Amami Islands, Amami-Oshima, Yoron-to, Okinawa-honto, Naha, Southern Okinawa-honto, Motobu Peninsula, Kerama Islands, Aka-jima, Zamami-jima, Kume-jima, Miyako Islands, Miyako-jima, Ira-bu-jima & Shimoji-jima, Yaeyama Islands, Ishigaki-jima, Iriomote-jima, Taketomi-jima, Hate-ruma-jima, Yonaguni-jima.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation