Japan - Northern Honshu (Tohoku) (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Honshu (Tohoku) chapter from Lonely Planet’s Japan guidebook.
Stretching out above Tokyo is the fabled Tohoku – starring Miyagi, Yamagata, Iwate, Fuku-shima, Akita and Aomori Prefectures – where ice monsters and river imps inhabit the imagination (but hopefully not the onsen).
- follow the footsteps of the yamabushi (mountain priests) through the lush, fabled peaks of Dewa Sanzan
- wander Kakunodate’s wide, feudal streets lined with cherry blossoms
- frolic around Towada-ko’s verdant shores in summer
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Miyagi Prefecture, Sendai, Matsushima, Ishinomaki, Naruko Onsen, Iwate Prefecture, Morioka, Hiraizumi, Tono, Sanriku Kaigan, Minami-Sanriku & Kesennuma, Rikuzen-takata & Ofunato, Kamaishi & Otsuchi, Miyako, Aomori Prefecture, Aomori, Hirosaki, Towada-ko, Hakkoda-san, Shimokita Peninsula, Akita Prefecture, Akita, Kakunodate, Tazawa-ko, Nyuto Onsen, Yamagata Prefecture, Yamagata, Yamadera, Zao Onsen, Ginzan On-sen, Tsuruoka, Dewa Sanzan, Sakata, Niigata Prefecture, Niigata, Sado-ga-shima, Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen, Naeba, Fukushima Prefecture, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Bandai Plateau.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.