Japan - Kyoto (PDF Chapter)
This is the Kyoto chapter from Lonely Planet’s Japan guidebook.
Kyoto is old Japan writ large: quiet temples, sublime gardens, colourful shrines and geisha scurrying to exclusive engagements. With more than 1000 Buddhist temples and over 400 Shinto shrines it is one of the world’s most culturally rich cities.
- marvel at Kinkaku-ji, the gold-plated temple floating over its tranquil pond
- pass through the magical tunnel of vermillion gates at Fushimi Inari-Taisha
- stroll though the atmospheric district of Gion at night for a glimpse of old Japan
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Activities, Courses & Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.