Italy - Sicily (PDF Chapter)
This is the Sicily chapter from Lonely Planet’s Italy guidebook.
More of a sugar-spiked espresso than a milky cappuccino, Sicily rewards visitors with an in-tense, bittersweet experience. Overloaded with art treasures and natural beauty, undersupplied with infrastructure, and continuously struggling against Mafia-driven corruption, Sicily’s complex-ities sometimes seem unfathomable.
- join the ranks of impeccably dressed opera-goers at elegant Teatro Massimo in Paler-mo
- bargain with fish vendors at dawn, climb Europe’s most active volcano in the afternoon, and return to buzzing nightlife in Catania
- marvel at the majesty of Segesta’s 5th-century ruins, whose Doric temple sits in splendid isolation on a windswept hillside
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Palermo & Around, Tyrrhenian Coast, Cefalù, Aeolian Islands, Lipari, Vulcano, Salina, Stromboli, Ionian Coast, Taormina, Catania, Mt Etna, Southeast-ern Sicily, Syracuse, Noto, Modica, Ragusa, Central Sicily & the Mediterranean Coast, Agrigento, Western Sicily, Marsala, Selinunte, Trapani, Erice, Segesta.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation