Istanbul - Understand Istanbul and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
All the info you need on everything from history – from Byzantium to Constantinople, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers and travellers with disabilities. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on Istanbul today where levels of cultural and infrastructure investment are nearly as high as the population figures, and that’s really saying something
- info on Istanbul’s long, complex and eventful history as İstanbul née Constantinople née Byzantium
- full coverage of Ottoman mosques, Byzantine fortresses and cutting edge contemporary art galleries jostle for attention in the streets of this architecturally splendid city
- details on Istanbul’s literary heritage and cinema0<1/li>
Coverage includes: İstanbul Today, History, Architecture: Byzantine Architecture, Ottoman Architecture and Ottoman Revivalism & Modernism, İstanbul on Page & Screen: İstanbul in Print and Cinema, Transport and Directory A–Z.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.