Israel & the Palestinian Territories - Petra (PDF Chapter)
This is the Petra chapter from Lonely Planet’s Israel & the Palestinian Territories guidebook.
Petra, the great Ancient City that lies half-hidden in the wind-blown landscape in southern Jordan, and voted by popular ballot in 2007 as one of the ‘New Seven Wonders of the World, is one of the world’s most treasured Unesco heritage sites.
- follow the path of pilgrims through the sheer-sided chasm of the Siq that leads to an an-cient world
- catch the early-morning sun slanting off the pillars of the Treasury at the end of the Siq
- climb the processional way to the High Place of Sacrifice, pausing for tea with the Bedouin in the gardens of wildflowers
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: The Ancient City, Wadi Musa, Siq Al Barid (Little Pet-ra).
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation