Ireland - The Midlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the The Midlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Ireland guidebook.
If you’re in search of a slice of rural life, look here. Often bypassed by visitors, the Midlands brims with pastoral landscapes, stately homes, archaeological treasures, monastic sites, lakeside vistas and towns where the locals are glad to see you.
- slow down a gear while cruising through the Midlands’ rolling landscapes on the Shannon-Erne Waterway
- contemplate the lost land of saints and scholars at Ireland’s finest monastic site Clonmacnoise
- take a lakeside stroll through the deserted medieval village of Rindoon
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: County Leitrim, Carrick-on-Shannon, County Roscommon, Roscommon Town, Strokestown, Boyle, County Longford, County Westmeath, Athlone, Lough Ree, Kilbeggan, Mullingar, County Offaly, Birr, Kinnitty, Banagher, Shannonbridge, Clonmacnoise, Tullamore, County Laois, Abbeyleix, Durrow, Slieve Bloom Mountains, Mountmellick, Portarlington, Portlaoise
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.