Ireland - Counties Meath, Louth, Cavan & Monaghan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Counties Meath, Louth, Cavan & Monaghan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Ireland guidebook.
Within Dublin’s commuter belt lies Brú na Bóinne and Loughcrew – which predate the pyramids – and the Hill of Tara, seat of high kings. After St Patrick’s, monks built abbeys, high crosses and round towers here to protect manuscripts.
- explore evocative prehistoric remains at Brú na Bóinne’s extraordinary ancient burial sites
- float above fascinating ruins and emerald-green fields on a hot-air balloon flight from Trim
- tour Slane’s 18th-century castle and state-of-the-art whiskey distillery in its former stables
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: County Meath, Brú na Bóinne, Battle of the Boyne Site, Slane, Tara, Dunsany Castle, Trim, Kells, Loughcrew Cairns, County Louth, Drogheda, Dundalk, Cooley Peninsula, County Cavan, Cavan Town, Killykeen Forest Park, Lough Oughter, Butlersbridge, Ballyjamesduff, Blacklion, County Monaghan, Monaghan Town, Carrickmacross, Inniskeen.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation