Ireland - Counties Down & Armagh (PDF Chapter)
This is the Counties Down & Armagh chapter from Lonely Planet’s Ireland guidebook.
Down’s more than Belfast. Ancient monasteries, soaring mountains, beautiful loughs, and picturesque peninsulas abound, with folk and blues festivals adding splashes of colour. Down’s neighbour Armagh is rural and sleepy, with enchanting scenery ideal for walkers and cyclists.
- hike along ancient trails or along the Mourne Wall sweeping down to Downpatrick
- explore the recently restored home and exquisite gardens at Mount Stewart
- spot geese, ducks and waders at the mudflats at Castle Espie
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: County Down, Bangor, Ards Peninsula, Newtownards, West Side of Strangford Lough, Downpatrick, Saul, Lecale Peninsula, Newcastle, Dundrum & Around, Mourne Mountains, Mourne Coast Road, Newry, Hillsborough, County Armagh, Armagh City, Navan Fort, Lough Neagh, Ring of Gullion.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation