Iran - Northeastern Iran (PDF Chapter)
There’s much to discover in the Northeast – and it’s on the overland route to Turkmenistan – but foreign tourists remain rare. The primary attraction is Mashhad’s extraordinarily grand Ha-ram-e Razavi complex – the shrine of Imam Reza – which attracts pilgrims in their millions.
- share in the emotion of countless pilgrims as you jostle closer to the heart of Mashhad’s magnificent holy shrine, Haram-e Razavi
- create surreal echoes at Gonbad-e Kavus’ soaring, millennium-old tomb-tower, Mil-e Gon-bad
- feel like an old-time explorer with the mud walls of the lonely, ruined citadel of Belqays towering above you
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sari, Gorgan, Semnan, Garmsar, Shahrud, Gonbad-e Kavus, Bajgiran, Mashhad & Around, Kalat, Bojnurd, Esfarayen, Sabzevar.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation