Indonesia - Sumatra (PDF Chapter)
This is the Sumatra chapter from Lonely Planet’s Indonesia guidebook.
Few isles tempt the imagination with the lure of adventure quite like the wild land of Sumatra. An island of extraordinary beauty, it bubbles with life and vibrates under the power of nature.
- delve into the fascinating Batak culture on the shores of Danau Toba, Southeast Asia’s largest lake
- trek through the jungle from Bukit Lawang in search of orang-utans
- find your desert-island paradise in the Banyak Islands and snorkel Sumatra’s best reefs
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: North Sumatra, Medan, Bukit Lawang, Tangkahan, Berastagi & Around, Parapat, Danau Toba, Sibolga, Pulau Nias, Gunung Sitoli, Traditional Vil-lages, Pantai Sorake & Teluk Lagundri, Teluk Dalam, Aceh, Banda Aceh, Pulau Weh, Aceh’s West Coast, Banyak Islands, Gunung Leuser National Park, West Sumatra, Padang, Pantai Bungus & Sungai Pinang, Mentawai Islands, Bukittinggi & Around, Danau Maninjau, Kerinci Valley, Bengkulu, Riau, Pekanbaru, Dumai, Pulau Batam, Pulau Bintan, Jambi, South Sumatra, Palembang, Lampung, Tanjung Setia & Krui, Bandar Lampung, Way Kambas National Park, Gunung Krakatau, Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.