Indonesia - Sulawesi (PDF Chapter)
This is the Sulawesi chapter from Lonely Planet’s Indonesia guidebook.
Flanked by teeming waters and reefs, Sulawesi’s interior is mountainous and cloaked in dense jungle. Here rare species such as nocturnal tarsiers and flamboyant maleo birds survive – as do proud cultures, long isolated by impenetrable topography from the onslaughts of moderni-ty.
- snorkel or dive along Pulau Bunaken’s unbelievably rich coral drop-offs – some of Asia’s best
- witness the ritual and tradition of an elaborate funeral ceremony in Tana Toraja
- find barefoot bliss in the off-grid, paradisaical Togean Islands
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: South Sulawesi, Makassar, Malino, Pantai Bira, Pulau Liukang Loe, Pulau Selayar, Taka Bonerate Islands, Watampone, Sengkang, Pare Pare, Tana Toraja, Mamasa Valley, Mamasa, Central Sulawesi, Tentena, Poso, Lore Lindu National Park, Palu, Donggala & Tanjung Karang, Luwuk, Ampana, Togean Islands, North Sulawesi, Gorontalo, Manado, Pulau Bunaken & Pulau Siladen, Tomohon, Bitung, Pulau Lembeh & the Lembeh Strait, Tangkoko-Batuangas Dua Saudara Nature Reserve, Southeast Sulawesi, Kolaka, Kendari, Bau Bau, Wakatobi Islands.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation