Indonesia - Papua (PDF Chapter)
This is the Papua chapter from Lonely Planet’s Indonesia guidebook.
Even a country as full of adventure as Indonesia has its final frontier. And here it is: Papua, half of the world’s second-biggest island, New Guinea. It may be the youngest part of Indonesia, but Papua’s rich tribal traditions span thousands of years.
- hike among the thatched-hut villages, tribal culture and mountain grandeur of the Baliem Valley
- dive and snorkel in the real-life tropical aquarium of the Raja Ampat Islands
- hike through steamy lowland jungle to visit the world’s most accomplished tree house ar-chitects, the Korowai
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: West Papua, Sorong, Raja Ampat Islands, Manokwari & Around, Northern Papua, Jayapura, Sentani & Around, Pulau Biak, Nabire, Baliem Valley, Wamena, Yali Country, Southern Papua, Merauke, Wasur National Park, Asmat Region, Koro-wai.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation