India - Uttar Pradesh (PDF Chapter)
This is the Uttar Pradesh chapter from Lonely Planet’s India guidebook.
There are few states more quintessentially Indian than Uttar Pradesh. The subcontinent’s historic and religious roots – Hindu, Buddhist, Islamic and secular – intertwine in this land of sa-cred rivers and vast plains, manifesting in sights of profound importance.
- have your mind blown in Varanasi – India as you’ve always imagined it – with sacred Ganges ghats and a maze of alleyways with surprises around every corner
- eat in Lucknow, the kebab capital of India, then stroll among impressively ornamented Nawabi architecture
- roam the peaceful park and stupa where Buddha delivered his first sermon, in Sarnath
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Varanasi, Sarnath, Gorakhpur, Kushinagar, Sunauli & the Nepal Border, Lucknow, Ayodhya & Around, Prayagraj (Allahabad), Western Uttar Pra-desh.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.