India - Tamil Nadu (PDF Chapter)
This is the Tamil Nadu chapter from Lonely Planet’s India guidebook.
Tamil Nadu is the homeland of one of humanity’s living classical civilisations, stretching back uninterrupted for two millennia and very much alive today in the Tamils’ language, dance, poetry and forms of Hinduism.
- soak up unique Franco-Indian flair in Puducherry
- escape the heat at Kodaikanal or Ooty’s Hill Stations
- admire the crowning glory of Chola temple architecture, the Brihadishwara Temple, in Thanjavur
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Chennai (Madras), Northern Tamil Nadu, East Coast Road, Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram), Kanchipuram, Tiruvannamalai, Puducherry (Pondicher-ry), Auroville, Central Tamil Nadu, Chidambaram, Tharangambadi (Tranquebar), Kumbakonam, Thanjavur (Tanjore), Trichy (Tiruchirappalli), Southern Tamil Nadu, Chettinadu, Madurai, Rame-swaram, Kanyakumari (Cape Comorin), The Western Ghats, Kodaikanal (Kodai), Coimbatore, Coonoor, Kotagiri, Ooty (Udhagamandalam), Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Anamalai Tiger Reserve (Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary & National Park).
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation