India - Kashmir & Ladakh (PDF Chapter)
This is the Kashmir & Ladakh chapter from Lonely Planet’s India guidebook.
Kashmir is India’s Switzerland, attracting local tourists seeking cool summer air, alpine scen-ery and Srinagar’s romantic houseboat accommodation. And then there’s the Himalayan land of Ladakh, where monasteries are set between canyons and peaks, while emerald-green villages nestle photogenically in highland deserts.
- visit Thiksey Gompa, one of Ladakh’s great monasteries, especially during a festival
- experience the stark magnificence of Ladakh with a hassle-free (and traffic-free) homestay trek in the Markha Valley
- enjoy an amusingly caricatured Raj-type experience relaxing on a deluxe Dal Lake houseboat in Srinagar
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Ladakh, Leh & Around, Markha Valley, Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri Loop, Kargil & Around, Zanskar, The Kashmir Valley, Srinagar, Pahal-gam & Aru, Gulmarg, Naranag & Lake Gangabal, Sonamarg, South of Srinagar, Jammu & Southern Kashmir, Jammu.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.